The mission of the Golden Hat Foundation is to change the way people on the autism spectrum are perceived, by shining a light on their abilities and emphasizing their great potential. With proper education and career training, these individuals can truly realize their dreams.
Research indicates that within the next 15 years, more than 500,000 children in the US with an ASD diagnosis will enter adulthood. Today, many autistic adults are being cared for by aging parents, who in most cases will not outlive their children, leaving them with limited options for lifelong support.
In addition to ongoing unique awareness initiatives that highlight capabilities of those on the autism spectrum and our free meetup groups that provide monthly outings and support meetings for autistic individuals and their families, our long-term goals include the establishment of innovative post-high school campuses designed to truly honor all autistic individuals - not just those considered "higher-functioning" - by creating an environment that supports and respects their individual needs and strengths.
While the campus project is still evolving, initial plans include:
- In depth analyses of abilities to help determine the best career path including placements that are on campus, off campus, and remote from the comforts of home.
- Outreach with prospective employers to facilitate a variety of career opportunities.
- Employer training on creating and harvesting an inclusive and accepting work environment.
Education and Training Center
- Outreach center that will act as a training facility for professionals, school districts, and other specialists to learn about autism and various communication techniques and inclusion methods to support individuals on the autism spectrum.
- Therapists, doctors, recreational facilities, theatre, market, etc.
High profile projects
- Collaboration with high profile individuals/institutions on projects regarding those with autism will be publicized to help change society's perception of these individuals.
Public Recreation Center
- Pool, restaurant, market, lazy river, slides, play equipment.
*Depending upon funding and support, the timeline for establishment of each component may vary and be developed in separate stages.